Sunday, November 11, 2012

Blog Assignment 11

student on smartboard

Little Kids... Big Potential

I really like the title of the video Little Kids... Big Potential. In this video the students of Ms. Cassidy's class show how they use different technology in their classroom. I think that it is great that the students who are only in the 1st grade are learning what I am just now learning as a 3rd year college student. In Ms. Cassidy's class, the students use blogs, a classroom webpage, wikis, videos, Skype, and Nintendo DS to connect with other people and classrooms around the world. Throughout the video the students talk about each form of communication and explain how they use it in their class. The students stated that blogging was their favorite. They enjoy blogging the most because people all over the world can read them and leave comments. The students also added that they can see and sound out words better on their blogs. The students even had a tip on how to be safe on the Internet, "just put your first name, not your last name". The students enjoy using their webpage to help guide them to places on the Internet to learn things. Videos are used to add to their blogs, and Skype is used to talk to different classrooms and also experts.

As for the Skype interview with Ms. Cassidy, I found the interview pretty helpful. Ms. Cassidy explains that she began using technology in her classroom when she was assigned five computers and decided to make a center. In the interview she explains how she set up the video, "Little Kids... Big Potential. She talks about how some teachers feel that they don't have to change to teaching with more technology, they feel like their way of teaching is just fine. She states that she does think that all teachers must be technology literate. Teachers must keep up with what is developing in technology, because as she states, "it isn't going anywhere". Along with teaching her students how to use technology, she teaches them rules on how to be careful on the Internet. She also teaches them proper etiquette for leaving comments on others blogs. I love the way that Ms. Cassidy conducts her classroom. I think that it is the way to teach in the 21st century to prepare students for their future!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla,
    Your post is very thorough and I agree with your insight. I could not find any grammar mistakes, and I see you have all modifiers and links necessary. I liked the picture you chose, and I enjoyed the title of the assigned video too.
    -L.J. (Laura) Allen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kayla,

    Good job on your post! I see that you enjoyed Little Kids...Big Potential. Students get excited when they are able to use technology in the classroom. We should too! Students should be allowed to have fun in school, and I think allowing technology in the classroom does just that.

    Stephen Akins

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kayla,

    I really enjoyed your post. You write very well and with great enthusiasm. I agree with your statement that using technology is the way to teach students in the 21st century. I didn't see any grammar errors either, so keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kayla,

    Your post was great! I enjoyed reading your post and I believe it was well written. I agree the title of the video was fitting. I think Ms. Cassidy`s technique is a great way to teach the 21st century as well. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete