Sunday, October 7, 2012

Blog Assignment 6

Pausch family

Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams
Randy Pausch was a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University. Paush was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in September of 2006. After finding out that he only had about 3 to 6 months to live he delivered a remarkable speech called "The Last Lecture: Really Achieving Your Childhood Dreams". I really admire Randy Pausch's attitude, especially for him to act with such positively in his predicament. This speech that he delivered was very inspirational and full of useful advice. In his speech he talked about his childhood dreams, enabling the dreams of others, and lessons learned.

Dr. Pausch begins his speech by listing his childhood dreams and explaining how he achieved some of them and some he didn't. His first pointer came when he was explaining how he hit his first "brick wall" in trying to achieve his childhood dream of being in zero gravity. He explained that "brick walls" are there for a reason, to prove how badly we want something. That statement in itself is so inspirational and that was only in the first 5 minutes of his speech. Pausch did not give up on his dream just because he hit a brick wall, and because he never gave up his dream was fulfilled. This is a great theory to use when facing challenges in life and also in the classroom as a future teacher.

As for enabling the dreams of others, Pausch used the way he taught in his class as an example. He taught his class the exact way he delivered this speech. His teaching was enjoyable to listen to and while watching this video I did not feel like I was being lectured to. I think it is great that he is explaining how to enable the dreams of others. As future educators, that is apart of out job as well. We have to not only teach to our students, but also inspire them to accomplish their dreams. We have to reassure students that are filling down, that they can do anything that they set their minds to.

The last thing Pausch talks about is lessons learned, and the roles of parent, students, and mentors. He talks about how we should never lose our child-like wonder, to always have fun everyday. He goes on to ask are you a Tigger or an Eeyore? He also advised us to tell the truth, don't complain, be earnest, and to never give up. Remember, "the best gold is at the bottom of the barrels of crap".

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kayla,
    I would like to first say that I absolutely agree with you in that I didn't feel I was being lectured to either! He truly does have a way with words, doesn't he? I thought your post was written well with only a few minor errors:

    In the third paragraph there were a few spelling errors. You said "As future educators, it is apart of out job" apart should be a part and I'm sure it was just a slip of the finger and you meant "out" to be "our". Also in the third paragraph, in the last sentence you said "filling" and it should have been spelled "feeling".

    I did the same thing in one of my posts with "right" and "write" knowing I know the difference but I didn't even catch it in my proofreading!! Other than that, I think your post was great!! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kayla,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I agree with you that he lectured in a way that I did not feel lectured to. Your post was very well written and you covered many of the great things that Pausch said in his speech. You did have a few spelling errors: "out" should "our", "apart" should be "a part", and "filling" should be "feeling". Always remember to proof read before you publish your posts. You also did not put a picture with your post, remember that pictures are required with every blog post. Other than that you did a great job and it wsa very enjoyable to read. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kayla,

    I thought your post was thoughtful, and I'm glad that you found some inspiration from Dr. Pausch.

    I'm not sure what you mean to say in this sentence: "I really admire Randy Pausch's attitude, especially for him to act with such positively in his predicament." You could say: " I really admire how positive Randy Pausch's attitude was in his predicament."

    Make sure you are proofreading your post before you publish it. It might help to ask a friend to proofread it for you, because he or she might find mistakes that you can't find.

    ReplyDelete