Sunday, September 9, 2012

Blog Assignment 2

comic



John Strange: Did You Know
These videos was amazing. I watched both the original Did You Know? 3.0 by Karl Fisch and Scott McLeod and also the Did You Know by John Strange. Both the videos were equally full of information. What I liked most about these videos is that they made me think. Not just think, but imagine how the future will be. I did find it very informing to know that countries that don't originally speak english out number the United States. Some of the facts on this video literally left me with my mouth open!

On the video its says that jobs that exist today will not exist in future, meaning that we will be preparing students for jobs that don't even exist yet. That is just mind blowing to me! The video also asks "Are you ready to be an educator?". This video really made me ask myself that question. It allowed me to acknowledge that fact that educators have a lot to do for students to prepare them for the future!

Mr. Winkle Wakes: Mathew Needleman
Watching Mr. Winkle Wakes really made me think, and I have decided that I'm on the fence about technology in the classroom. I do find it interesting that, throughout the years, technology is advancing everywhere, but in classrooms, and I feel like there should definitely be more technology in the classroom. In the video, Mr. Winkle visited a business office and hospital to find more technology there then he found in the classroom. In my opinion,having more computers could only improve as opposed to worsening classrooms. I think there should be more technology, because the people that work in hospitals and business offices do start off in classrooms, and learning how to use and becoming familiar with modern technology while still in middle and high school is just a plus.

I also think the idea of students sitting in desk whil the teacher teaches is also a great method. As was said in the video, it has been done the same over the past 100 years. So if the same teaching methods are still being used and working today, why change them?

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity
Sir Ken Robinson is well known for his two famous speeches given in 2006 and 2010 at the TED conference. These speeches are famous for challenging the way we educate our children.

The video The Importance of Creativity was given to challenge people to think, "Do schools kill creativity?" When watching this video I remembered when my little sister wanted to major in art. When she asked my mother what she thought, my mom stated that she was not allowed to major in art, because she would never get a job in it. From society's standards, as Dr. Robinson stated, these type jobs, art and music, are frowned upon. I do also think that as we go through school, we are molded into what society wants us to be. I think that as we grow what we enjoy get thrown out the window because, "that doesn't pay enough" or "that isn't a real job".So, yes I do agree with Dr. Robinson. I believe that it is not so much of schools killing creativity, but society as a whole.

Glass, Teachings, Schools
When watching A Day Made of Glass 2 I was thrilled. To think that is how the future will be is amazing. When the scene of the classroom came on I was literally thinking, Wow, this might be the way I will teach my class one day". It is amazing how eveyone had these glass tablets to do everything with, even pick out the cloths they would wear. It is truely mind boggling how technology is advancing.

Also in the video it shows how hospitals could possibly look in the future. It was cool how the doctors in the video were in two sepreate rooms talking about a patient in the glass, and how the MRI was taken. This video just had me in awe thinking about how the future would possibly be.

1 comment:

  1. Kayla,
    I thought you had a lot of interesting and insightful things to say but had quite a few errors in formatting, grammar, and punctuation. For example, the effectiveness of this sentence is clouded with errors: "I did find it very informing to know that countries that fon't originally speak english is out number the
    United States."
    I can't really untangle what this means, but it has good potential. My advice to you would be to make more connections. As a reader, it made sense to me after reading your first two segments that if technology is on the rise only advancing more, with jobs being created every day, that technology would be needed in the classroom where the people who will be filling these new and innovative jobs, would get their start. So when you said that you were on the fence about technology being used in the classroom, I was confused. You did not make the connection between these two videos.
    I definitely agree with the point you made when discussing Sir Ken Robison's video. You said that "I believe that it is not so much of schools killing creativity, but society as a whole." This is very true, considering what we teach our students, the things we see as valuable, is what society as a whole tells us we should value. Society doesn't value creative minds but rather tells us we should all make as much money as possible and have the least fun doing it as we possibly can!
    Great job bringing your personality and creativity to the post! I really liked the cartoon at the beginning :)
    Carly Pugh

    ReplyDelete